Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Jinxed

I must have jinxed myself last night, silly me for thinking that everyone would make it to rehearsal.  We were still missing three, two to injuries and one to work.  I'm beginning to think I won't have a full cast until opening night -- if I'm lucky :)

Missing people aside, last night was a good rehearsal.  I think all of us walked away from it feeling like progress has been made.  The scenes we did last night, the director is down to little picky things, a fantastic place to be with nearly 4 weeks to go.  

My quest to find a stage manager for the original show this fall is over.  Only one of the two showed up yesterday and she was perfect.  She's never stage managed before, but she's done costumes and lighting.  She knows what she's signing up for.   I hope she works out.  I need the help.  Now comes the hard part for me, the letting go, but not letting her get overwhelmed.  There's a definite balance and it's different for each person.  I'll find it with her, I just hate the trial and error part.  

I know I can't stage manage the original show, but there is a sense of sadness for me.  The booth is where I am at home and where I love to be, so giving that up for this show is a big thing for me.  It's almost an addiction.  It will be a much different process for me to just be the production manager, probably a welcome change, but something I'll have to adjust to as well.

Last night after rehearsal I had a meeting with the publicity team.  Not a stage manager job, just another committee I ended up on when the company formed.  It was a good meeting, we got a lot of things decided and divided up.  This company is a lot of work, but when I'm sitting at a table in a deli in Hollywood at 11pm on Monday night with four of my good friends, I'm reminded that this is worth it.  All of it is worth it.  If we can create something remarkable within this company, then all of the work is absolutely worth it.  I also realized that one of the regrets I have is that I didn't meet the majority of the people sitting around that table sooner.  I'm sorry I had to wait until 2 years ago to meet them.  


No comments: