Tuesday, August 31, 2010

In No Particular Order -- Thoughts from New York Fringe

I haven't yet found the words to fully describe the last ten days of my life. Any word or phrase I come up with seems to fall flat, nothing really captures the emotions, the energy, the fun, the life that occurred during our time in New York.

To say New York was a dream come true, seems cliche, but it was. It absolutely was. It reminded me why I do what I do, what I want to do, why what I do is important. To experience that in New York City, to work on a stage in New York City was an incredible experience that is now really just hitting me.

I could say it was life changing. Again it sounds too contrite, or passe, but it was. I learned things about myself that I will keep with me forever. I came out of New York a slightly different, better, stronger person. I left New York with a different energy, different ideas, different thoughts. But I left more confident in who I am, who I want to become and that for me does truly define the phrase "life changing."

I could say it was an experience, but that sounds too ambiguous, too vague. It was the culmination of over 14 months of work, planning, rehearsals, performances and more. It was a chance to live in true theatre city, to become part of that atmosphere for two weeks. It was a chance to explore other options, to try new things to be immersed. For all those reasons it was absolutely an experience.

I could say it was everything I wanted it to be and more. It truly was but that sounds too over the top. I left New York with no regrets. I accomplished so many things, saw many other things, lived and explored freely. It was fantastic to be free from the constraints of normal life. To just be able to focus on a good performance and enjoying the experience.

None of this can truly summarize the 10 days I spent in New York this summer. Maybe in time I'll come up with something that can be the short and sweet 10 word answer. There's a part of me that hopes I'll never be able to sum it up that quickly. So for now, if you ask me how New York was, be prepared to listen for a while!

No comments: